[mythtv-users] Cards keep changing /dev/videoX devices...

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 20:52:39 UTC 2007

After screwing around with the vague and misleading, yet much linked
"writing udev rules":
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
I stumbled across this very helpful thread:
Scroll down to the last post.  Note the bafflingly illogical and
frustratingly redundant syntax for calling udevinfo.

I built my rules and named my file just as the poster did, except I used
SYSFS{vendor}== and SYSFS{device}== to uniquely identify my cards.
Then, in mythtv-setup->capture cards, I manually entered my /dev/<custom
name> from the SYMLINKs into the fields.  NOTE: I highly recommend doing a
"delete all capture cards" first, then starting fresh...

But, finally, no more random /dev/video# assignments!