[mythtv-users] nforce4 and AC3 SPDIF passtrough - anybody ?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Mon Jun 11 16:17:39 UTC 2007

Decepticon,

You wrote:
>I use passthrough to the optical out on my NF4 chipset, and it works
>like a charm. I followed the HOWTO linked here. My only issue was for a
>while I thought I wasnt getting any sound, but it turned out that I
>forgot to set that particular input for digital on my reciever.
>-J

May You give me Your exact config ?
(what distro, alsa ver, alsa full config, receiver type, tested content
type).

I still can't judge: is it my problem related to my config or to my hw/sw.

If You are able correctly play alternately 2-chan TV/AVI/MP3 & 5.1chan
DD/DTS AVIs via SPDIF with fully proper receiver behavior (signaled type
of stream is in sync with feeded stream type & heard sound) - it means
that ALSA can properly set non-audio bits in nforce4 SPDIF hw.

This is in contrary with opinions on ALSA forums about it...

If so - only one theory comes in mind (assuming that alsa guys are right
about missing documentation about nforce spdif hw): your receiver is
selecting/showing decode mode by snooping stream instead interpreting
non-audio bits in spdif status/ctl words. This potentialy explain why Your
receiver properly selecting decoding mode despite non-properly set non-audio
bits in spdif stream.

BTW: sorry for non-threaded replaying, but I had blocked mailing-list receiving.