[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jun 11 02:59:20 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Making the jump from analog to digital isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped...
>
> I've got an HDHomerun and the latest MythTV installed from Axel's ATRPMS
> repository (non-bleeding though: mythtv-0.20.1-157.el4). There are a handful
> of channels that Myth doesn't seem to find. I know they're there, I can see
> them with the HDHomerun GUI tool as well as with the ATSC tuner on my flatscreen.
>
> I've painstakingly created a list of all my unencrypted digital channels using
> the HDHomerun tool and have tried manually adding the missing channels back
> into the MythTV 'channels' and 'dtv_multiplex' tables.
>
> Myth still refuses to tune them giving me a "(LAm)" message while tuning.
>
> I've seen the notes here that Myth's channel scanning is broken. Okay, I'll
> add them by hand if need be. I've also seen the message that there needs to be
> duplicate rows in 'dtv_multiplex' with different 'sistandard' fields. I've
> tried 'dvb' and 'mpeg' in the duplicate row but mythfrontend still won't tune
> the missing channels.

You should NOT have duplicates in the dtv_multiplex table. The
sistandard field must be 'atsc', whether or not you are using cable or
ota...that is dealt with in the channel table. (Since these are mutually
incompatible, they will be connected to different sourceid's.)

Scanning, as such, is NOT broken in mythtv. What generally is broken is
what cableco's send us: a stripped stream with no identifying data, on
an arbitrary frequency, with an arbitrary serviceid, and listed on a
different and arbitrary channel number on zap2it.com. Myth properly
reports what it can tell: the frequency and serviceid of an unencrypted
stream. It's up to us to match up the rest of the information....

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor