[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Tuning Problems

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 11 00:35:20 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Making the jump from analog to digital isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped...
>
> I've got an HDHomerun and the latest MythTV installed from Axel's ATRPMS
> repository (non-bleeding though: mythtv-0.20.1-157.el4). There are a handful
> of channels that Myth doesn't seem to find. I know they're there, I can see
> them with the HDHomerun GUI tool as well as with the ATSC tuner on my flatscreen.
>
> I've painstakingly created a list of all my unencrypted digital channels using
> the HDHomerun tool and have tried manually adding the missing channels back
> into the MythTV 'channels' and 'dtv_multiplex' tables.
>
> Myth still refuses to tune them giving me a "(LAm)" message while tuning.

You need to enable "quick tune" in mythtv-setup for your hdhr devices.
If that does not do it, then try the next higher or lower transport
number. Also make sure your transport frequencies in the dtv_multiplex
table match the frequencies listed in the hdhr tool. I sure hope that
this gets fixed soon. Its a royal pain.

> I've seen the notes here that Myth's channel scanning is broken. Okay, I'll
> add them by hand if need be. I've also seen the message that there needs to be
> duplicate rows in 'dtv_multiplex' with different 'sistandard' fields. I've
> tried 'dvb' and 'mpeg' in the duplicate row but mythfrontend still won't tune
> the missing channels.

I have not seen the duplicate entries, in fact I think this will break
things. Just make sure that every hdhr channel in the channels table is
set to ATSC and that you have quick tune enabled. To be sure that your
dtv_multiplex table has all the needed transports, do a channel scan
using qam256 and the existing channel mode set to delete. Follow this up
with a qam64 scan with the mode set to minimal updates. This should
populate your dtv_multiplex table with all the available transports.
Then you can edit your channels to match the results returned by the
hdhr tool.

Please be aware that myth will not tune the music only channels. I think
it barfs due to the low video frame rate of 1 frame every minute.

Once you get things working you will want to back up your channels and
dtv_multiplex tables to a safe place just in case you goof up later.

Good luck,
Bill