[mythtv-users] Optimizing Picture output

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 10 20:17:18 UTC 2007

Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Call me confused.  I have a rear projection TV that does all the way up
> to 1080p.  It has many, many inputs -- and for this discussion, I am
> using the DVI connection.  I have setup the resolution from X to match
> the state TV resolution 1920x1080.  With this setup I have noticed a
> noticeable difference between regular TV and what I see via Myth.  Since
> I have no artist ability -- I really have a hard time describing what
> that difference is (ie: color, contrast, brightness, interlacing, all
> the above).  So my questions are:
>
> 1. As most things broadcast today are interlaced -- do I need to do
> deinterlacing?

Most people find deinterlacing improves picture quality quite a bit. Not
sure why since its interlaced source video being played on a tv that
expects interlaced material. The docs have a good explanation of what
deinterlace mode does what.
> 2. How do I match color, contrast, brightness between normal TV and
> Myth?

Try enabling the "xv picture controls" in setup and then use the
on-screen controls to adjust to your liking. See the docs for the proper
way to do this.