[mythtv-users] OT: Free backup solution for my linux boxes?

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 17:10:38 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> After a lightning strike took out my windows boxes last week I am now
> hyper aware of a need to backup to non-volatile media. I have found a
> good solution for windows systems however I have not yet found something
> I like for linux.
>
> My requirements are:
> 1. Backup to DVD-R
> 2. Backup of all specified partitions. Dont want to back up the tv
> recordings partition.
> 3. Must use/create bootable DVD so that I do not have to reinstall linux
> to restore backup.
> 4. No need for periodic backups. I will run them when I make significant
> changes to the system.
>
> My windows solution is PowerQuest Drive Image (With bootable floppy)
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Slightly off this topic as I don't think this fits the bill here, but I
use "Unison" to synchronise directories between machines and it's the
single most important piece of software I use. It means that no matter
what machine I'm using, all of my files are exactly where I want them. I
sync my main machine, 2 laptops and a remote office machine. I'll soon
be adding the mythbox to the list. Pretty much never have to worry about
backup again as all of the machines are their own backup solution!

Hope this is of interest to someone and not just clutter on the thread.

Damian