[mythtv-users] OT: Free backup solution for my linux boxes?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jun 9 16:56:34 UTC 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Mike Poublon wrote:

> William Munson wrote:
>> After a lightning strike took out my windows boxes last week I am now
>> hyper aware of a need to backup to non-volatile media. I have found a
>> good solution for windows systems however I have not yet found
>> something
>> I like for linux.
>>
>> My requirements are:
>> 1. Backup to DVD-R
>> 2. Backup of all specified partitions. Dont want to back up the tv
>> recordings partition.
>> 3. Must use/create bootable DVD so that I do not have to reinstall
>> linux
>> to restore backup.
>> 4. No need for periodic backups. I will run them when I make
>> significant
>> changes to the system.
>>
>> My windows solution is PowerQuest Drive Image (With bootable floppy)
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
> I've manually made backups with a knoppix/live cd using the following
> process:
>
> Boot knoppix
> mount local filesystem(s) to backup
> mount remote filesystem to backup to
> cd /src/filesystem
> tar -czf /remote/location/filesys.tar.gz .
> [repeat for any other local filesystems]
>
> When restoring all you have to do is:
>
> boot knoppix/live cd
> recreate filesystem(s) on disks
> mount local filesystem(s)
> mount remote filesystem
> cd /dst/filesystem
> tar -zxf /remote/location/filesys.tar.gz
> re-install grub/bootloader
>
> -Mike

I recommend using rsync. It's a great way of keeping a current copy
of your system without having to copy every file every time. It won't
be compressed on the destination (maybe it's an option? not sure),
but it will save tons of time when backing up. I make incremental
backups of my important stuff over my network with a cron job and
never think about it.