[mythtv-users] Basic LVM question

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 16:03:55 UTC 2007

> I've got a pretty easy question for you. I need to add a drive to my LVM
> mounted at /storage... however, I can't add it to the LVM because it is in
> use. I normally use the LVM Manager program in
> system>>preferences/administration

The LVM is in use?   You should be able to easily add storage to an LVM
while space allocated within it is mounted.  Once that's done, you just
resize the filesystem to fill the space, which can be done by simply
umount'ing /storage and then performing the necessary operations (heck, some
filesystems can be expanded on-the-fly whiel still mounted, included XFS and
ext3 in later kernels, IIRC).

Anyway, I expanded my LVM recently by firing up the 'lvm' tool on the
command-line and doing a pvcreate on the new device, followed by a vgextend
to add the new physical volume to the volume group, and lastly an lvextend
(I actually used the lvextend command-line tool, as it's more flexible in
how the sizes can be specified) to expand my myth logical volume to fill the
newly-available space.  This was all done while MythTV was running.  Once
that was done, I shut down mythbackend, umounted my myth partition, did a
resize2fs on the filesystem.  After that, it's a simple matter to remount
and restart mythbackend, and voila!  More space.

Brett.