[mythtv-users] fps drops with DRM sync and bob

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Sat Jun 9 14:30:30 UTC 2007

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I've just noticed that when using bob and the problem is occuring, the X
> server process is using 100% of CPU. mythfrontend is using ~15% (on the
> other core). I suspect this is highly relevant!
>
> When using kerneldeint, or disabling bob by forcing video scan to
> progressive, mythfrontend uses about the same and the X server does
> not appear in "top" at all.

I think you may be on to something there :-)

If you were to install & use oprofile (including the relevant kernel
module) I think it would show the culprit.

Relevant versions on my system:
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-6
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.0.0-3
libdrm2 2.3.0-4
libgl1-mesa-dri 6.5.3-1

> Do you have anything special in your xorg.conf? Or in your kernel
> configuration? dmesg for me reports:
>
> agpgart: Detected an Intel 945GM Chipset.
> agpgart: Detected 7932K stolen memory.
> agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000

Note that my chipset is 965G (this is a desktop system):
Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 965G Chipset.
agpgart: Unknown page table size, assuming 512KB
agpgart: Detected 7676K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0x80000000

The 965G does not have video overlay hardware and instead uses OpenGL
textured video; if you can find a driver option for this on your
hardware it may be worth trying.

> I've included my xorg.conf below.

I have sent my xorg.conf and /proc/config.gz by private email.  I didn't
see anything obviously wrong in your xorg.conf.

Like I said above, I suspect oprofile is your best bet.

-Doug