[mythtv-users] OT: RE: which dvd?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 13:11:51 UTC 2007

On 09/06/07, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/9/07, Justin The Cynical <cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> > Calvin Dodge wrote:
> >
> > > Lord, no!  DVD+R is the way to go.
> >

> > Actually, I've wondered about this...  Why + over -?
> >
> >  From what I have found online, for maximum compatibility, one would
> > want to stick with - as that is the closest to a pressed DVD.
> >
> > Why would someone pick one over the other?
>
> Your post compelled me to go around the Internet, looking for
> info/opinions on this.
>
> And - for video - it does sound like you're correct: DVD-R is
> compatible with more players (I need to tell my mom - some relatives
> have been unable to play the DVDs she's burned).
>
> Apparenly I was confusing video use with computer (data) use - there
> the +R _is_ better.

videohelp.com suggests there is now only a small margin (a few
percent) between -R and +R in terms of their compatibility, although
neither format is 100% compatible. DVD-R is still the most compatible
for pre-2004 standalone DVD players, and is a good choice of DVD media
when distributing discs for playback on unknown players.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/