[mythtv-users] Videocard recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 12:24:13 UTC 2007

Hans Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your clues.
>
> I am looking for a AGP-videocard and I live in Germany. The supply
> with computerhardware works very good over here ;)

I'm sure it does, but advice like "goto Walmart" or even "OfficeMax"
would be of limited use, and any prices I might quote you would be
irrelevant. Suggestions to check E-Bay might result in shipping costing
more than the product, and a lot of US E-Bay sellers won't even ship
overseas.

The first place I'd look for a video card would be:

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=851

But that won't help you, hence my suggestion to all folks to post locations.

> What about a GeForce4 with 128 MByte memory? I think I have something
> like that in my basement (well hidden, I fear).

The GeForce4 MX might work, I know at least some folks have made it do so.

Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA#Graphics_chipsets

One problem with that card is that it is no longer supported by the
latest nVidia Linux drivers, so you'd have to use the "legacy" drivers,
not difficult but one more thing to deal with.

A lot depends on whether you plan to use the OpenGL stuff or not as well.

But if you have the card anyway I'd certainly give it a try, if it works
for you then you've saved money, and if it doesn't you're no worse off
than you were.

You might also want to check out:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Video_display_cards

BEWW