[mythtv-users] Videocard recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 11:55:11 UTC 2007

Hans Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can someone please recommend a videocard for use under Linux (Fedora
> Core 7). I need a videocard where the TV-Out is supported and can
> transmit signals to my TV. What has the videocard else have to be able
> to? I think a cheap one should be enough?
>
> What I want to do is watch DVDs/Videofiles and TV (DVB-T) over mythTV on my TV.

The answer depends a lot of what bus type your motherboard has.

The nVidia-based 5200 cards are pretty much the baseline for MythTV
systems. Most of them are AGP, but they can be had with PCI and even
PCI-Express interfaces (though the last can be very hard to find).

Just about any 5xxx card will work, as will 6xxx cards, though the
latter do not have the chroma key but rather rely on shaders, they can
work well.

A lot of folks have made the ATI cards work as well, I have no direct
experience with them.

The final answer will depend on what you can find and at what price. If
you can spend $60 or so, and are in the USA, you will have no problems
at all. Things can get harder to find and more expensive in the "real
world".

BEWW

(Folks: I've said it before, if you are using GMail and are asking about
purchasing things it helps a LOT to state where on the planet you are
located).