[mythtv-users] Encoder Profile

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jun 9 10:09:52 UTC 2007

norman wrote:
> The choice of which setting to use when selecting the Encoder Profile
> appears to be straightforward except for 'Don't re-encode'. Could
> someone please explain the difference between 'Don't re-encode' and 'SP
> standard play profile'.
>
> Norman

If you choose 'Don't re-encode' then MythArchive will use the original
video/audio as it was recorded. The big advantage to doing that is it is
a lot quicker to create the DVD.  The down side is if  the original
video isn't DVD compliant,  it hasn't got one of the DVD compliant
resolutions for example, then some players may have problems playing it.

I'm not sure what type of capture card you have but generally if you
have a choice of what the recording parameters are like the PVR-x50
cards then it's best to change the Recording Profile to use DVD
compliant settings. If you have a DVB/ATSC type card then you don't have
that choice you have to just accept what the broadcaster sends, some
send DVD complaint streams many don't.

Paul H.