[mythtv-users] I am thinking of going to DISH

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 06:54:47 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> I went the cheap route and spent a couple of hours fiddling with
> positioning and trying to get it to change reliably. Then I went out
> and bought the serial cable and never looked back. :)

I did more or less the same thing, spent a lot of time messing with a
"cheap" LIRC-type blaster, then decided to just get the MyBlaster, which
was up and running less then 10 minutes after I got it out of the box.
Life's too short to spend hours or even days trying to save $40, but I
guess if you have a lot of time and little $$$...

>> The only problem I've run into is if the receiver goes into
>> "screensaver" mode do to lack of use, in which case you have to either
>> select the channel twice or send an "enter" first. There's just no way
>> for Myth or anything in your computer to know about the status of the
>> screen saver, and I haven't found a way to disable it (yet). It's
>> not a
>> problem if you use it regularly, but if you are returning from a
>> vacation with no recordings you could possibly miss a record if you
>> weren't aware of the problem.
>
> That's annoying.

Perhaps, but compared to life's other "annoyances" it's pretty trivial.
I finally solved it by just telling Myth to record something that came
on each day, then throwing away the recordings every week or so.

BEWW