[mythtv-users] I am thinking of going to DISH

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 04:06:53 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Tim Litwiller wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking DISH because you can get Internet thru Wildblue on the
>>> same dish.  As far as I know DiectTV doesn't have a TV & Internet option
>>> on the same dish anymore.
>>>
>> I wasn't suggesting either service, juat making sure you were aware of
>> as many facts as possible.
>>
>> The problem I've run into with any sort of satellite internet service is
>> latency, especially on pages with a lot of DNS lookups. The providers
>> usually have some sort of method of caching DNS but that might only work
>> with Windows, and of course is only helpful after the first access. You
>> might want to run your own caching-only DNS server if not accessing
>> through a Windows box.
>>
>> Once you actually get a transfer started the speed is OK, it's just
>> getting ti going that's time consuming, and I really hate it when the
>> latency delays are to get a lot of ads from remote servers on the page.
>>

> Also there is this "fair use clause" that will bite you in the butt.
> Dont even think about downloading a dvd as they will throttle your speed
> way back after the first few hundred Megs. Pretty much killed that for
> me. Of course if its the only game in town, its your money....
>
> Another big difference between dish and direc is the content. If you are
> really into football then direc is for you. Also its faster and easier
> to change channels with the serial cable than with the MyBlaster but
> again, its your money. (PS - I am the author of the MyBlaster control
> scripts for linux so I am not bashing that product at all, its just
> cheaper to buy 2 serial cables than one MyBlaster. You have to set the
> 2nd dish to remote code 9 and use the other set of codes provided by the
> latest drivers available from Sourceforge.net)

All that is true, especially the "content" part. DISH has the Sirius
satellite music channels, which mean nothing to me, but I share the
service with my Mom in an adjacent building, and she really wanted the
Metropolitan Opera music channel, so much so that she splits the entire
cost of the service with me, so I get all the video channels for half price.

Also, Echostar's primary uplink facility is a couple of miles east of
here, so I'm supporting local jobs (albeit underpaid ones).

William is quite correct about channel changing speeds (I change
channels on DISH using his script) but, since I change channels perhaps
once or twice a day, it doesn't matter to me.

The best solution for anyone depends on a lot of different factors, as
always.

You're doing what you should be, getting as much information from as
many folks as possible before committing to anything.

BEWW