[mythtv-users] I am thinking of going to DISH

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 9 01:12:08 UTC 2007

Tim Litwiller wrote:
> I was thinking DISH because you can get Internet thru Wildblue on the
> same dish.  As far as I know DiectTV doesn't have a TV & Internet option
> on the same dish anymore.

I wasn't suggesting either service, juat making sure you were aware of
as many facts as possible.

The problem I've run into with any sort of satellite internet service is
latency, especially on pages with a lot of DNS lookups. The providers
usually have some sort of method of caching DNS but that might only work
with Windows, and of course is only helpful after the first access. You
might want to run your own caching-only DNS server if not accessing
through a Windows box.

Once you actually get a transfer started the speed is OK, it's just
getting ti going that's time consuming, and I really hate it when the
latency delays are to get a lot of ads from remote servers on the page.

BEWW