[mythtv-users] fps drops with DRM sync and bob

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Sat Jun 9 00:12:07 UTC 2007

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Are you using the latest Intel driver from git.freedesktop.org, or the
> 2.0.0 release, or something else?

I'm using Debian's 2:2.0.0-3 version, which is from Git probably a week
ago.  The 2.0.0 release also worked fine.

> I tried disabling DRM (by removing /dev/dri/card0), where upon Myth fell
> back to busy wait. This also lost sync after a few seconds, just like
> DRM.

This is an indication that your problem has nothing to do with your
video out.  It might be something wrong with your audio, or it might be
something to do with the video.

If you can make a short clip available somewhere I can try to play it on
my system.

> The picture shimmers vertically when bob is enabled. I can't recall
> whether this is meant to happen or not - surely not?

There *is* a vertical offset component from even to odd fields.  It's
computed based on the source and output resolutions, and should not be
noticeable.  What are your source and output resolutions?

Perhaps Myth is misdetecting even vs. odd frames in your recordings?
That could cause a bad vertical shimmer.  Does selecting "Interlaced
(normal)" vs. "Interlaced (reversed)" from the OSD Video Scan menu make
a difference?

> Here's some verbose log of a few tests. Firstly, forcing the video setup
> to progressive through the OSD menu;

[snipped]

So running in progressive mode works fine indefinitely?  You never see
the "Video is x frames behind audio" messages?  That's definitely odd.

Also note that in these new logs, fps is quite solidly locked at 25; and
yet you eventually get behind.  This to me is a good indication that
your audio is running fast.  Why, I have no idea.  Like I said, I can
try to play one of your recordings on my system if you can make one
available.

-Doug