[mythtv-users] Announcing (yet another) desktop remote control (telnet gui) - this time in Flash/Apollo

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 00:11:28 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Jim Hayes <hayes.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realise there are many existing implementations of a gui for the frontend telnet interface,
> but I've been kicking the tyres of adobe flash/flex recently and decided to implement
> my own, which you are very welcome to share.

First off, thanks Jim!

> Why would you care ? Well, there's a desktop application (with the adobe apollo
> alpha) for both windows and mac, and the flash player version can be used on
> any platform that has a flash player.

I used the Applo application under Windows and it pretty much just worked.

> Personally I would have appreciated it before I got my IR remote working, and I still
> find it easier if I'm at my PC to use this than pick up the remote (assuming it is
> within reach, which is not always the case)

I appreciate being able to have an "extra" remote when I've got the
laptop and my wife has the remote :)

> It's early days, and I can't pretend that it's either original or necessarily any good,
> but I would appreciate any feedback, encouragement or constructive critisism you
> may care to offer.

My 2 cents: You have three very equal-looking buttons in two vertical
rows that provide vol up/down and chan up/down. I was somewhat
visually confused by the 3rd button. To me, volume up/down and channel
up/down are fundamental enough that they should be more visually
distinct.

... oh, and your apps needs an icon ;)

-Ross