[mythtv-users] Previously recorded shows get re-recorded

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:15:18 UTC 2007

On 6/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/08/2007 12:53 PM, Cameron Dale wrote:
> > I'm using SVN from Feb 23 (svn 12825, from the marillat Debian
> > packages),
>
> SVN trunk (=development), not SVN 0.20-fixes.  I don't know which the
> packages you're using provide, but if you're using the right version,
> you'll find "Re-record watched programs" in the frontend settings.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was another svn branch now. It looks
like I do have 0.20-fixes, as 12825 is a commit on that branch.

> >  and checking my settings table I see an entry for
> > RerecordAutoExpired which is set to 0, so it seems to be set fine.
>
> That's an old one we don't use any longer.  Setting options through the
> DB is /not/ the recommended approach because, for example, you may see
> some option which is no longer used and think it's actually doing
> something...

I wasn't planning on setting anything, but I understand your concern,
as even reading the DB caused me some confusion. :) Now that I know
where to look I'll try and find the option in the frontend (though I
guess it's not there since I'm not on trunk).

> Note that all recordings that have not been deleted will have duplicate
> set to 1 (unless you change it through Previously Recorded/Forget Old).
> Once you delete the recording, the value of duplicate may be changed
> (with a delete and allow re-record).  And, in truth, only when you
> delete the show from current recordings does the value of duplicate
> become important (as a show won't be recorded if you already have a copy
> of that show in current recordings).
>
> So, it's not the age of the recordings, but the time elapsed since
> you've deleted the recording, that's important.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'm back to waiting for 0.21 to
release, and until then manually changing duplicate to 1 periodically.

Thanks again,
Cameron