[mythtv-users] DCT6416 - can't get to any menus etc

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 8 14:31:03 UTC 2007

Joe Borne wrote:
> I tried yesterday to go into my setup menus for my Motorola DCT 6416
> STB. I want to find out which channels are 5C encrypted so I can
> request they turn off the encryptions on the channels the FCC syas
> have to remain free and open.
>
> I get no response from the menu, option, setup etc buttons on the unit
> or the remote. Only the power button on the unit works.I haven't
> fooled around too extensively with the remote.
>
> Could my cable company have disabled these buttons in the firmware etc?
>
> help!

You could always play dumb, call the help line and demand to talk to a
2nd level technician. Tell them you have problems with the box and ask
how to verify that firewire is enabled and working. That should give you
the button sequence needed to access the menus. Dont let the first level
script kiddies give you the run around. Demand to talk to a supervisor.
Be prepared to show that you know the law requires them to provide a
working firewire port access to their box. It helps to know the FCC
document id for the applicable laws.

My local ComCrap provider attempted to 5c all the local stations. In my
case it required a call from the station manager of a local broadcast
station for them to "discover" their mistake. (I called the station
manager and informed him that I could no longer watch "his" station and
got a "oh REALLY! Let me make a few calls." Next day, all was in the
clear again.)

Bill