[mythtv-users] TV-out video card hardware requirements (AGP vs. PCI)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 8 13:12:00 UTC 2007

Brad Patterson wrote:
> I need to get a new video card for my myth box, as the current one that
> I have doesn't include a TV output.  The problem is that the 2 computers
> I am thinking about "converting" into a full time myth box are older
> machines and neither of them have PCI-express slots.  One of the PCs has
> an AGP slot and the other only has PCI slots.  My question is this:
>
> If I opt for the PCI (non-express version) video card, will this be
> enough performance to support video & TV playback?  The card I am
> looking at right now is on sale at Best Buy, it is a BFG  brand card
> with Nvidia 6200 OC with 256MB of ram.  I know that it will have plenty
> of ram on the video card, but I wasn't sure if the PCI slot type of card
> would cause a problem for video playback to the TV.
>
> Can anyone clue me in here?  Thanks!!

Since you are planning to use the TV out I assume you are talking about
SD video, as AFAIK none of the common TV outputs can handle HD.

A PCI card *should* be able to handle SD video, assuming everything else
is OK, and the buss itself is not too heavily loaded. You really don't
have much other choice, unless you replace that mobo.

BEWW