[mythtv-users] backend setup

David Mythtv mythtvdc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 02:52:02 UTC 2007

Hi,
     I'm looking for some suggestions and opinions on a decent way to setup
the RAID on my backend.  I'm looking to setup a decent amount of storage to
record HD on my backend.  I have one HD2000 pcHDTV PCI card and one
HDHomerun unit to provide content.  For storage I'm looking to go with five
500 gig SATA II drives.  The dilemmas are software vs hardware RAID 5 and
the total number of drives to utilize.  I've read that software RAID is very
mature and works well under Linux.  I've only ever used Linux software RAID
levels 0 and 1.  If you recommend hardware RAID, what are the decent cards
that don't cost an arm and a leg?
     My thought for software RAID 5 is to use five drives: three for the
stripe, one for parity,and one hot spare to give me about 1.5 TB.  Does
software RAID work sufficiently well to take advantage of the hot spare?  My
other thought is to just use four drives with a hardware RAID card.  Is that
too much of a risk not having the hot spare?  I'm leaning towards Seagate
drives because they come with a 5 year warranty.  I like the peace of mind
of knowing that my array is covered for 5 years.  My fear with going with a
four drive hardware RAID is losing a second disk before the first disk has
been replaced by Seagate.  I could always use the five drive model even with
hardware RAID.

I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks about my proposed setup.  I'm going
to send another email soon asking for recommendations on a motherboard for
this backend.  I'd like to order my parts in the next week or so and finally
get going with Mythtv.

Thanks in advance to all that respond,

David