[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 350 dvd playback no sound

robinlee_r at yahoo.com robinlee_r at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 18:30:11 UTC 2007

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks again for your help.

I do want/need to send the signal to the TV instead of using the monitor, as that's the reason I got the 350 card.

That links you sent has been my guide, I have followed it and still not working, I believe I have a problem with one of the ivtv drivers, last night before I shutdown the computer I checked the Xorg log and I noticed one of the drivers had error messages and was unable to load, my doubt remains why am I able to watch live tv on my TV when the drive is not supposedly working.

About Xine, yes I do get video (to the monitor instead of TV at the moment) and sound through the card now, as I was watching one and getting the sound from the speakers connected to the signal out on the on board card.

And yes, I do get sound from other apps, I was capturing the TV from the command line directing the /dev/video0 to the mplayer and it works fine, I change channels using another command line window and it works great.

I did download the driver from the www.hellion site, but I believe that's the one I am having problems with from my comment above.

I would update this with the actual output from mythfrontend tonight and the output from xorg logs.

Again, thank so much for your time and help

Robin

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote: On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 11:08 -0700, robinlee_r at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> At the moment, I have X going through the computer monitor as I
> haven't been able to get X to display to the TV screen, every time
> I've tried to make it to work, I can see the Tv flashing going green
> for a sec or two, then bunch of horizontal lines, Ubuntu goes on the
> monitor screen, I never get to see anything on the TV, and then
> monitor goes black displaying only a dash on the screen and TV never
> kicks in, I have rechecked the configuration, according to the guides
> I found on the net, and everything looks fine, my only doubt is when
> you get to input that value that needs to be converted from
> hexadecimal to decimal, mine displays 02:09:00, and converted to
> decimal should be the same, so I am not sure why X fails to dsplay on
> the screen, resolution is 720x600 I believe, but it's not a huge
> resolution set on X at the moment.

Now I understand a lot more about your situation. I had assumed that you
had X and all of mythfrontend displaying on your TV connected to the
PVR-350. Do you want to run X on the PVR-350 and display everything
there, or are you planning to keep using two displays? The system in
which I have a PVR-350 has no video card at all. It works fine as long
as I don't change anything, but if I need to adjust a BIOS setting or it
has trouble booting, I need to put a video card in it.

I'm not sure whether putting the correct PCI ID in xorg.conf is
necessary. I have it in my xorg.conf, but I'm not 100% sure it's
correct, since I have two PVR-x50 cards. Are you sure that the PVR-350
is on PCI bus "02"? All of my systems have ordinary PCI devices on bus
"00" and AGP and PCIe ones on higher numbers.

One thing that may be preventing X from working is your mode. AFAIK, the
PVR-350 has only one mode at 720x480. There's a wiki page on everything
you need to do, including the xorg.conf. Reading it now, I see that
ivtvdev Xorg driver (which depends on the ivtv and ivtv-fb kernel
modules) isn't currently in any package, so if you haven't downloaded it
manually, you need to do that too. I forgot exactly which steps I had
used, since it was a while ago.

> Xine started from within mythdvd, I set it up from from the myth
> setup, before I was using the internal, and it would send the signal
> out to the TV instead of the monitor, but I had no sound, it weird as
> I get the same from mythtv, I click on watch TV live and the computer
> blanks the monitor and TV goes on with sound and image.

I'm surprised that MythDVD sent a picture to the PVR-350 if you didn't
have X running on it; I wasn't aware it could do that. I had thought
that the PVR-350 output in MythTV was only for TV recordings from a
PVR-x50. However, though MythDVD could send a picture to the PVR-350, it
couldn't send sound, since it's most likely in a format the -350 doesn't
understand. In any case, any other player, such as Xine, will most
likely need X working on the PVR-350.

So, we're back to the same discussion about sound that we had before.
I'm still not entirely sure what you have speakers connected to. Can you
get any sound out of your sound device (not the PVR-350) using programs
like mplayer, mpg123, or speaker-test? Until you can hear something
generated by the sound chip, you can't get much further.

Reading your earlier message, it looks like you did get Xine to play
sound from a DVD. If so, then MythTV is probably configured incorrectly,
preventing it from playing sound. You really need to look at the output
of mythfrontend to see what's going on.
--
Jonathan Rogers