[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:30:43 UTC 2007

On 07/06/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:

> > Can you ssh in from another pc?
> >
> > Mark
> >

> >> Maybe, but I don't really know anything about that. My other machines on the
> >> network are all windows based until I sort this out. If it's straight
> >> forward I'm sure I could. What's your plan?
> >>

> > putty is a good ssh client for windows.
> >
> > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
> >
> > on your server make sure sshd is started.
> >
> > or if your network is secure just use telnet (included as part of windows)
> >
> I'm afraid you're starting confuse me with lingo now :-) and a quick
> search for telnet on google didn't help much.
>
> I could try putty. On the windows side. Not sure what to do with sshd
> (or even if I've got it) on the linux side, but I'll try to find out.

Sorry about that.

ssh and telnet are both ways of opening a command line window for your
server from a remote terminal.

basically if you type

telnet <servername or server IP address>

in a dos shell on your windows box then if:

    - telnetd is running on your server and
    - your network and firewall allow the connection

then you should get a login prompt that allows you to open a command
shell into your server.

This means you can examine log files and change configuration options
even if your server X session is broken or your server has 'hung'.
You can also have multiple telnet sessions open at the same time,
which can be useful.

telnet is very insecure (your login and password are visible on the
network)  so ssh is recommended instead unless you're on a closed
network.  ssh can do a lot more than telnet, but at its simplest level
it works the same way.

You need sshd to be running on the server, and you need an ssh
client(putty) for windows.

Good Luck.  I'm watching your progress carefully because I had similar
problems trying to set up my mythtv box on my father's LCD panel TV.
Sadly you've already tried all the things that I had planned to try
next time I'm down there!