[mythtv-users] Source of my IOBOUND problem?

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 09:55:08 UTC 2007

David,

I looked at the man page for iostat some more and saw that the columns for
rsec/s and wsec/s were for the number of sectors read (or written) per second
and that sectors are still 512 bytes apiece.  The highest numbers I could find
in the data I collected were under 20K sectors/second each, so worst case
I am seeing 40K sectors/second of activity with the system maxed out.  This
converts to 20MB/s.  My HD is rated at 100MB/s as a PATA drive.  No way I
should be maxed out on throughput at 20% of rated performance.  This makes
me think there's something else amiss.

Brian,

I checked and found that I'm running ivtv version 0.10.1, so your suggestion is
now high on my list of suspects.  Hopefully, I can pull all the right packages
together soon to update my Fedora Core 6 system.  The trick is to get all the
matching *-kmdl-* packages to match regarding the kernel version and related
packages to match the Suspend2 version and the nvidia-graphics version.

This usually means I have to catch the crest of the wave, so to speak, when all
of them have been out long enough for all the pieces to match.  Some that I checked
last night had only been out since 6/1, and others hadn't caught up yet.  Makes me
wish I was prepared to go to a "from sources" distro set up, but I spend too much
time working on MythTV to add learning another distro.

Brad,

You make a good point -- how much RAM is recommended on a MythTV system?
Mine has 512MB on two DIMMs and the few system configurations I've read about
on the list don't seem to have more.  Was I just seeing other problem systems?

Everyone,

Thanks for your help in solving this problem.

Craig.