[mythtv-users] Nuvexport Help

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jun 7 03:23:14 UTC 2007

Kelly Shutt wrote:
> 1)  For some reason my installation won't do auto-transcoding.  The
> processes show as queued on that status screens; but the logs don't show
> anything, it looks like it's not even attempting to run them.  This
> issue isn't a huge deal, since I really want to do a scripted solution
> anyway; but it is annoying.  Any ideas?

Turn up the log level.  "-v all" is good.

> 2)  I'm not really sure on sane settings to use in my nuvexportrc file.
> Does anyone have a good example of Xvid settings that I could look at?

The defaults are good.  Then again, I wrote them.  Transcode also seems
better for xvid than ffmpeg does, so try out --transcode.

> 3)  I noticed that currently nuvexport doesn't have an option to remove
> the recording files and pertinent DB entries when it's done.  Is there a
> plan to add this feature in the future maybe?  Does anyone have a script
> to remove the DB entries and file; or at least know which DB entries
> need to be removed to properly remove the recording information from MythTV?

I have no plans to add one.  I still get too many failed transcodes for
it to be important to me.  If it does get added, it'll at least be in
0.5, since the proper way to delete recordings will be to go directly
through mythproto and the backend.  Future additions like "multiple
files per recording" will also make it possible to use things like
nuvexport to *replace* originally-recorded files with exported ones, and
let the backend clean up (delete) original files as it needs disk space.

> 4)  The test recording that I did last night had huge black bars all
> around it; due to overscan.  I'm using a PVR 350 card for recording;
> does anyone know the correct percentage of overscan to remove in this case?

Trial and error.  It often depends on the specific show, channel, etc.
The defaults are a good guestimate.

-Chris