[mythtv-users] Unusual Audio/Video lag on an AMD64 3000+

Jonathan Seawright jonathanathome at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 02:10:53 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Unusual Audio/Video lag on an AMD64 3000+

On 06/06/07, Jonathan Seawright <jonathanathome at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Yesterday my MythTV box was working quite well. I could watch HD content
> with clear sound and the video was almost perfect (some interlacing
> problems... but that's another story...)
>
> Anyway, I scheduled a bunch of tasks, and now there is a lot of AV lag
> during playback (Including SD content!)
>
> Is this just because the backend is overloading the computer? It's awfully
> strange behavior. I am using XVMC, and I"ve tried all the different modes
> with no change in playback.

When you say tasks, do you mean MythTV recordings, or other system
tasks that could be taking up valuable system CPU/IO bandwidith during
video playback?

I'm referring to MythTV recordings... and it seems that it isn't actually
saving them too...(I set it to record something and it doesn't show up in
the list...)
I get the lag on previously recorded video that worked fine yesterday... so
It has gotta be some sort of IO issue.. maybe with the hard drives?

Top gives me mythfrontend ... I haven't tried it during playback-- it likes
to freeze when I go to a channel through the guide (it seems to do this
randomly)

Run 'top' (or one of the derivatives) in a terminal
and see what is happening to your system load both when MythTV is idle
and during playback. Also, check your frontend log for any obvious
errors (do you see any pre-buffering pause messages when watching
video?)

Where is the log located?

Thanks,

Jonathan Seawright

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
Franklin