[mythtv-users] a few newb questions

Jake B otakuj462 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 20:36:58 UTC 2007

Hello all, I'm just getting started with MythTV, and I have a few very
general questions. I'm basically trying to take an old Toshiba laptop (256MB
RAM, 2.0GHz Celeron Processor), and turn it into the mythical convergence
device. I'm most interested in recording and scheduling live TV broadcasts,
and utilizing the commercial skipping/detection functionality. My questions
are as follows:

   - As I'm using an old Toshiba laptop, I believe I would need an
   external capture card with a coaxial connector. Looking through the MythTV
   wiki, I found this:
   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2 . Is
   this a device that people would recommend for my above requirements?
   - I'm subscribed to Charter Cable. What kind of issues can I expect to
   encounter regarding encryption of cable channels?
   - Are there any other difficulties that I should be on guard for as a
   new user?

I'd appreciate any guidance that anyone can provide.
Thanks.

Jake