[mythtv-users] Resolution, capture resolution, refresh rate, etc.

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:20:31 UTC 2007

The Device section tells Xorg how to configure the Nvidia... so you need to
tell it you are in NTSC land...

The Monitor Section isn't strictly needed in this case because the TV-OUT is
automatically detected if you've got it plugged in ***when you switch on***

Use 720x480.   Why because being in NTSC land your TV is actually built to
receive this type of resolution (more or less), NTSC DVD's are also in this
resolution too, so you'll likely get a better picture. Certainly in PAL land
this is the case (TV resolution is 720x576, using 640x480 means that the TV
out on the card has to do horrible munging of the picture to get it to fit
properly, it don't look right!).

The Nvidia has a number of fixed modes that it can use for TV-OUT (for
ordinary monitors you can make all sorts of things up but TVout is fixed),
the modes available depend on the TV format you've set it to (NTSC, PAL-B
etc), so yes the NVidia more or less autoconfigures it.

Cheers

Steve