[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 15:11:08 UTC 2007

> I'm running an Nvidia 5200 board, feeding a Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor.
> Your xorg is missing  Load 'dbe' in the Module section. (I don't think
> the 'type1' (font?) module would be the source of the problem.
>

> Section "Module"
>          Load  "freetype"
>          Load  "type1"
>          Load  "vbe"
>          Load  "glx"
>          Load  "dbe"
>          Load  "extmod"
> EndSection

I've now added Load "dbe"

> This turns off a potential problem:
>

> Section "ServerFlags"
>          Option      "AIGLX" "OFF"
> EndSection

Thanks, Added

> The followig are the settings I ended up with after reading through the
> Nvidia Readme/help files. These seemed relevant to this setup here at
> work. (The Mythbox is a Via Sp13000)
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "nvidia"
>          VendorName  "GeForce 5200"
>          Option      "DPI" "100 x 100"
>          Option      "CursorShadow" "True"
>          Option      "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Centered"
>          Option      "HWCursor" "True"
>          Option      "NoFlip" "False"
>          Option      "NoLogo" "True"
>          Option      "NVAGP" "1"
>          Option      "RandRRotation" "False"
>          Option      "RenderAccel" "True"
>          Option      "UseEDID" "True"
>          Option      "UseEdidDpi" "False"
>          Option      "UseEvents" "True"
>          Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>          Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier "Screen0"
>          Device     "Videocard0"
>          Monitor    "Monitor0"
>          DefaultDepth     24
>          SubSection "Display"
>                  Viewport   0 0
>                  Depth     24
>                  Modes    "1920x1200" "1920x1080_60i" "1280x1024"
> 1024x768" "720x480_60i"
>          EndSubSection
> EndSection

Not gone through many of those yet.
Can't get in with anything higher than 640x480 with current options and
when I log out of X, the screen is unreadable so I can't restart it with
verbos 5

> The module loading is reported in /var/log/Xorg.0.log so you should be
> able to check what happens.

I'll post the log without verbos 5

> Hope this helps.
> Geoff

I'm very appreciative for everyone's help. Just hope I can get somewhere
with it. I had a list of things I wanted to do with my 'computer day'
it's depressing to think it's almost over and I'm no further with number 1.

Damian