[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 6 12:57:24 UTC 2007

On 06/06/2007 08:44 AM, Damian Surr wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2007 08:04 AM, Damian Surr wrote:
>>
>>> Here's my Xorg.0.log. Does it suggest anything to those of you that
>>> understand this kind of thing?
>>

>>> (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the
>>> default mode
>>> (WW) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select".
>>> (WW) NVIDIA(0):
>>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
>>> (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
>>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 800 x 600
>>> (WW) NVIDIA(0): BenQ W100 (DFP-0)'s EDID does not contain a maximum image
>>> (WW) NVIDIA(0):     size; cannot compute DPI from BenQ W100 (DFP-0)'s EDID.
>>> (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
>>>

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards .
>> Pay particular attention to all the EDID-related options (including
>> ModeValidation).
>>
> I intended to get to setting the DPI properly once I'd got the actual
> resolution working. That sounded like the best way to do it to me rather
> than changing too many things at once. Are you sugesting that the DPI
> not being correct is the reason why the resolution isn't working?

I'm saying if you read the page to which I linked you'll notice there's
a lot more information on there than just how to set the DPI for NVIDIA
cards.  It's really more of a "Some really-important options for NVIDIA
card users, without which you're unlikely to be able to use X at the
DPI, resolution, and refresh rate which is most appropriate for your TV"
page.

Don't just a book by it's cover.

Mike