[mythtv-users] Ahh - Evil xorg and modelines

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Jun 6 10:01:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, June 6, 2007 10:53 am, Damian Surr wrote:
> I'm ripping my hair out here. Trying every modeline under the sun but
> can't get the screen to put up anything other than the default 800x600.
>
> Could someone tell me how to at least see whatever error messages may be
> being given? All I know at the moment is that everytime a restart X or
> reboot it looks exactly the same still, so I try one other alternative
> way of adjusting the modeline etc. I'm working blind though as I don't
> know how to see any error output.
>
> Cheers
> Damian

I'm not sure if this is distro specific, but I have /var/log/X.Org.0.log
(or something like that) which contains the log of X starting.

Otherwise, you could just start X from a terminal session using 'startx'
and then the log should be output to the screen I think.  The only problem
here is that most of it will probably scroll past before you get chance to
read it.  You could also try redirecting this to a file I guess.

Robert.