[mythtv-users] dvb-t card with CI

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:10:19 UTC 2007

On 05/06/07, Ruud Boersma <ruud at claru.nl> wrote:

> Op dinsdag 05-06-2007 om 17:56 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef David
> Campbell:
> > James Buckley wrote:
> > >
> > > Well some things can be in a grey area (in the eyes of the law), where
> as
> > > other things are obviously illegal. I'm not trying to be a spoil
> sport,
> > > just
> > > don't want to see MythTV get into trouble, I'm sure you can understand
> > > that...
> >
> > I do and I agree conversations like that have no place on the list.
> >
> > Having said that - highly illegal makes it sound like treason or killing
> > children.
> >
> > Illegal would have sufficed :)
>
> Why is it illegal? I have to pay my television network provider for a
> monthly subscription, to get a smartcard. That smartcard can be used
> with the device (dvb-t) tuner that they provide or can be used by a
> device used in a computer. These tuner card are being sold on the
> commercial market. The ony question is: do these cards allready work
> using linux?

You are correct, what you want to do is perfectly fine, however the quote:

>I think i'm going to use a phoenix comp. smartcard reader (only 15 euro)
>and a softcam (cam emulator) to use my canaldigital subscription
>(satellite). That way i don't need a CAM just to use the smartcard.

is not. Softcams are illegal (amongst other reasons) because they allow you
to 'share' the card across multiple readers.

In answer to your question, searching for 'Twinhan DVB-T Ci' in google
revealed this:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-June/002455.html
It looks like people have tried before. Note that the post is fairly old (
2.6.10 kernels in 2005), so support may have improved. Try just searching
around for google.

I also found a link to a patch (
http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/24/122967.html)
although I don't know what it fixes/enables.

Sorry for the blanket 'illegal' statement, I should have directed it more
specifically.