[mythtv-users] ATI w/XvMC

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:51:18 UTC 2007

On 6/4/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> ATI supports motion compensation in hardware...but their proprietary linux
> driver is a question mark.  (I've been through the release notes and can't
> find mention of it).
>
> I don't see an XvMC related .so file, but enabling XvMC in the front end
> does improve playback (inconsistently)...

ATI's drivers do not provide XvMC support.  The hardware can do MPEG2
acceleration, but the software to allow apps to access that hardware
was never made available by ATI.  Nor were the specifications for the
hardware mad available, to allow open source developers to add support
for it in the x.org drivers.

To confirm this , check the output of xvinfo and look for mentions of
XvMC.  Or, even do a "strings" on the ATI X driver, and grep for xvmc
in the output.  You can also look at the debug output from
mythfrontend ( mythfrontend -v playback,libav ) and you should see
messages about XvMC failing.