[mythtv-users] Difficulty getting HDHomeRun setup

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 5 10:25:28 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
>
>> Bob Diss wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.  A recent post suggests that channel scanning for
>>> the HDHomeRun should be just fine in 0.20.1.
>>>
> <snip>
>

>> The only thing I see is that you set it to delete which will delete any
>> existing scans. Try minimal updates and turn on the quick tune feature.
>>
>> Unfortunately  it appears that channel scanning for QAM channels is
>> still broken.  Its still broken in SVN as of last night too.
>>

> Channel scanning is NOT broken. It properly finds and reports on the
> channels it finds. Unfortunately, it cannot report things which it does
> not know and cannot discover.
>
> There is nothing we can do about it. Myth can determine and report the
> frequency and serviceid of a digital stream. But the channel number
> given by the cableco is arbitrary and NOT reported in the digital
> stream. Nor is the call-sign. Those things are unknown to myth and not
> discoverable. IT IS NOT MYTH'S FAULT.

Yes it is broken as evidenced by the recent tickets in SVN. If the
transport contains a channel of 0.0 which is common in cable setups then
all channels on that transport are not entered into the table. Also any
transport containing both ATSC and SD channels will also not be entered
into the table. Now that the major issues have been identified there is
hope that the scanner will be fixed soon.
> That is why we have to go through the steps given below. Do NOT blame
> the myth developers for this problem.
>
> Good writeup BTW Bill although the same thing can be done without the
> necessity for a windows box. The hard part is determining which channel
> matches which digital stream and it is not often easy. Moreoever some
> facility with mysql is required to make the changes. That's what it
> takes. Get over it.

I am not "Blaming" the devs, only stating a fact. I know the devs are
doing this for free in their spare time and that they are not all
experts in all areas. I myself have coded 10K+ lines of code as a smart
card developer. If I had experience with C++ and working in a PC
environment I would be lending a hand fixing the thing,

 I understand things can be done without the use of a windows box but
thats the setup I have so thats how I wrote the article. As always, your
mileage will vary.

Bill