[mythtv-users] [Fwd: Re: MythTV sound through SPDIF]

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 02:27:55 UTC 2007

On 04/06/07, Ludmil Miltchev <ludmilmm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed both the audio and passthrough output devices to
> "ALSA:iec958". This fixed my problem with the sound, when watching TV
> and DVDs. However, it did not fix the problem with playing music (mp3s)
> through MythTV. I still can't get any sound.
> I tried setiign up my Myth Music device also to "ALSA:iec958" but this
> didn't help. I tried: "ALSA:spdif" and "default".
> I also tried: "ALSA:default" as recommended in "Configuring Digital
> Sound" article
> <http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound>
>  but with
> no result.
> BTW, I found out that insead of "ALSA:iec958" I can use "ALSA:spdif" but
> still I can't play music in MythTV, even though I have sound while
> watching TV or DVDs.
> Any ideas? Thanks!

You need to use rate-resampling from 44.1kHz (which CDs and hence most
MP3s use) to 48kHz - which your SPDIF probably requires for any
output. TV and DVD is already in this format, which is why it 'just
works' without any further configuration.

The easiest way to do this is to use the asoundrc file from the
Digital Sound HOWTO and enable the dmix-digital PCM device. You do
need to ensure that the file is configured for your particular setup,
so ensure the 'card' and 'device' options have the correct values for
your card and digital output device. You can determine the correct
values by checking the output of

# aplay -l

and updating the file as appropriate.

--