[mythtv-users] MythVideo - How can I get digital surround sound....

Nathan A. Smith nasa01 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 4 23:01:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:24 -0500, Craig Lovold wrote:
> I've had my MythTV setup (1 backend, 4 frontend boxes) working
> beautifully in my house for a couple years now but I have been unable to
> get Dolby Digital output.
>
> Two of my frontend boxes have ChainTech AV710 cards and are hooked up to
> Dolby Digital capable preamps, I do not use any analog outputs, strictly
> digital optical connection to the preamp.  For movie playback I use Xine.
>
> Recorded shows and movies playback fine in 2-channel, but if I try
>  to use a passthrough setting and tell Xine to use automatic passthrough
> mode it says that the device is busy.
>
> Why is it so hard to just get an AC3 passthrough to work?
>
> Anybody have a system like this working?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Craig L.

Craig,

It took me a while to get my digital system working...  So some
questions:

1. does Dolby digital work outside of myth?  ie: have you tried playing
a surround sound file with just mplayer?

2. Are you using a .asoundrc file?  (I'm not and it works fine)

3. What do you have in your General Settings: Audio page?  Look here for
what I am using:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Nasa

4. What is the output of aplay -l?

Let's see if we can't get this working for yah...

Nasa