[mythtv-users] ATI w/XvMC

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jun 4 19:36:05 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

> However, I'm skeptical about its value. I'm seeing similar HD playback
> performance on my Athlon64 systems using either a Radeon 9600 with the
> "radeon" free driver and an Nvidia 6600GT using the Nvidia proprietary
> driver and either plain Xv or XvMC.

I've noticed on my nVidia GeForce 6200 that XvMC appears to do almost
nothing to reduce CPU consumption, at least when playing SDTV MPEG2
streams.  The difference is a few percent at best, almost
undetectable. (I don't currently have an HDTV tuner.)  By contrast,
VIA XvMC on my miniITX system makes a dramatic difference in CPU usage.

Apparently there are nVidia cards where XvMC makes a big difference,
but on mine it doesn't seem to be any great shakes.