[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 No sound

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Jun 4 17:43:44 UTC 2007

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:04:40 -0400
From: "Thomas Kessler" <electronikjunkie at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 No sound
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On 6/4/07, Jonathan Seawright <jonathanathome at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I have a pcHDTV 5500 card that is (almost) fully working under MythDora
> 4.0.. However, I do not get sound. I have plugged the blue cable on the
> included dongle into the line in on my computer's sound ports... do I need
> to enable this line in somewhere? I know for a fact that sound under linux
> is working for me-- I get the regular system tones when you turn it on and
> the like....
>
> It's a wierd feeling being so close to getting this working... yet so far!
> :)
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan S.

If your trying to get sound working with ATSC capture you only need the
coaxial cable. ATSC comes over the wire as mpeg2. So the sound should work.
I don't know about the NTSC side cause I never got it working correctly...

TK

OK, I remember this...it took me a while to figure it out.

(1) The ATSC channels (both SD and HD) that you get via your coaxial cable
shouldn't be an issue.

(2) If you're piping in sound from your cable box via the dongle (right
and left audio out from the box into the dongle; dongle "out" goes to
sound card's line in):  In mythtv-setup, get into the section where it
allows you to configure the analog options for your capture card (the
fourth one, as I recall).  You will need to set the audio source for this
card as /dev/dsp (or whatever the device for your computer's sound card is
- NOT the device for the audio on the pcHDTV-5500).

HTH....Bob