[mythtv-users] How do I fix my MythFrontend box?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon Jun 4 13:43:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 09:21 -0400, Michael Williams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to repair my MythFrontend.  Keep in mind this is *only* a
> frontend.  The backend is downstairs.  I originally had it working,
> then, like an idiot I tried to connect to a box over the internet.
> When it didn't connect it quit responding.  It would never open
> again.  I'm guessing because it was trying to connect but couldn't
> and wasn't timing out (which leads to an entirely different
> question:  why in the world aren't network apps written in more of a
> threaded fashion?  I hate when they get stuck because they haven't
> gotten a response.  at least time out in a timely fashion.  That
> annoys me to no end.  Anywho, back to the main question. . .).

Do you mean that you configured it to connect to a backend through the
Internet, which doesn't exist now? I believe all the bootstrap
configuration (mainly how to connect to the MySQL server) is in
"~/.mythtv/mysql.txt". If you delete or rename that it, mythfrontend
should give the initial config dialog again. Alternatively, you can try
editing that file manually.

Recently, I discovered that the backend was also reading that file
rather than /etc/mythtv/mysql, as I had previously thought. Oddly, when
I started "mythbackend" manually from a terminal, it
read /etc/mythtv/mysql, but when started from the initscript, it read
the one in the home directory. It must have to do with environment
variables, but it bothers me, since it makes more sense for a daemon
like mythbackend to read configuration from /etc. I couldn't find any
documentation explaining mythbackend's configuration search explicitly.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>