[mythtv-users] Is the Digital Future bleak?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 4 12:06:58 UTC 2007

David Campbell wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:

>> The vast majority of people have no idea what open source is. I recently
>> put Open Office on a fellow's machine and he said "This is great, it's
>> better than Office, I'll buy it immediately, How much?".
>
> Brian - In my experience a huge slice of people now now what open source
> is thanks to the work of the Mozilla foundation and other projects such
> as Azeurus, Gaim, Audacity and dare I say it Mythtv.

True, and it's getting better, but, if you picked 100 home PC users at
random, I think about 10 of them might be aware that there is some
"free" software available, and maybe 1 of them would actually understand
what "Open Source" really means with all of its ramifications.

But 1% of 100,000,000 is indeed a "huge" number I guess.

BEWW