[mythtv-users] Best MythTV remote

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jun 4 01:28:39 UTC 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Matt Mossholder wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 12:24 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Matt Mossholder wrote:
>> > 	Does anyone have any suggestions? What out there is making people
>> > happy?
>> >

>> > 		Thanks,
>> > 			--Matt
>>
>> Harmony 880 makes me happy, but it was like $250. I'm assuming you
>> have a price range in mind. :)
>
> $250 isn't so bad, and it looks like you can actually get them for
> like $130-$160 now ( see pricegrabber page here  but having to use
> Windows to the configure the remote isn't optimal.  I guess it
> doesn't happen too often though. Is there a recommended remote to
> emulate with LIRC?

I emulate the PVR-150 remote since that's what I upgraded from. It
actually took me a lot longer to tweak than I was expecting but
mostly because I control volume with my receiver and not with MythTV
plus I added functions to set up all my game systems, turntable, SA-
CD player, etc, etc. However, that's why I splurged and got this
remote. I set it up with my MacBook Pro (since I don't have a Windows
machine) but after several rounds of tweaks to buttons, adding
"Activities" and devices, I haven't had to plug it in again and I'm
very happy with it.

It's nice to hit "Watch Recordings" and have the TV and Receiver turn
on and set to the right input, and have myth change to Watch
Recordings screen. Or to be watching something and hit Power Off to
have the TV and receiver turn off and have Myth exit whatever it's