[mythtv-users] Long-Term Video storage - Was: Is upgrading an ancient...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 3 11:41:57 UTC 2007

David Campbell wrote:
> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>> Keeping it on DVD is also not safe. Many DVD will not keep much past 10
>> year...
>>
>> My personal solution is to store on 2 separate raid systems, who are
>> physically apart (even different buildings), so i  can repare where needed.
>
> My solution:
>
> Don't have anything *that* critical only stored electronically.

Agreed, and as I said I'm not aware of anything that critical.

But it is an interesting question for folks here: What's the safest
really long-term storage method for video?

DVDs have their drawbacks, as has been pointed out.

I have VHS tapes over 25 years old that still play OK, and I'm aware of
2" quad tapes almost 50 years old that are still OK, though finding a
machine to play them these days is difficult.

I guess the "safety in numbers" theory would apply. Store anything
critical in multiple places with multiple methods.

BEWW