[mythtv-users] VERY OT: Going to Linux.

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sat Jun 2 15:50:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 2:18 pm, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> On 5/31/07, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 5/31/07, Joe Marcom <jmarcom at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > No, you must re-size one of your NT partitions and create at least 2
>> > more; an ext2/ext3 or Reiser partition and a /swap partition.  As a
>> > precaution, back up your NT partition befor doing this.
>> >                            Joe
>>

>> Thank you.  I guess i'll just blow windows up.  Start fresh.
>>

> BTW Can Linux look at NTFS partitions, like if i did get WoW working under
> Wine, is that possible if WoW is installed to NTFS.

Linux can R/W just about any OS format in the known universe. That said, I
personally have never had much luck with wine, probably because my only
app was trying to get my 11-yr-old's flight combat games to run under
wine. So he now has the house's only dual boot.

(Configured, if you care, so that he can't see the network from windoze
and can only browse from Linux. That keeps my maintenance way down.)

But my real comment is this. Not being a gamer, the _only_ windoze program
I have found that I need to run is TurboTax, once a year. IOW, for every
other app -- word processing, spreadsheets, personal finance, project
scheduling, you name it, I have always been able to find at least one
Linux app that does the same job and frequently does it better. Sometimes
there are multiple choices.

Compatability with M$ formats is another issue. Sad, that, but it's all
about the money.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer