[mythtv-users] PVR 500 samsung tuners

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Fri Jun 1 21:08:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:54:50 -0400 (EDT)
"Daniel Agar" <daniel at agar.ca> wrote:

> So I just bought a PVR 500 with the samsung tuners that gives me a
> terrible grainy picture filled with lots of diagonal wavy lines. I'm
> looking into buying an RF attenuator but I'm not sure how much attenuation
> is needed. Does anyone with this card actually get descent results after
> decreasing the signal? I'm looking for any advice fellow pvr500 owners
> might have other than ditching this for 2 pvr 150s.
> Thanks
>
> Daniel

Depending on what kernel you are running you may have a problem with the LNA (?) - basically a build in POS amplifier that causes issues.

I had a bad picture on one of the PVR500's tuners, then upgraded my kernel and it went to much worse.  I had to patch something and recompile which turned the amp off.  I am back to having one decent (although not as nice as the 350) tuner and one crappy crappy one.  Yes, its a samsung tuner.

Hauppauge says there is no known issues with the samsung tuners...  really.