[mythtv-users] PVR 500 samsung tuners

Jake Vickers jake at v2gnu.com
Fri Jun 1 19:08:05 UTC 2007

Daniel Agar wrote:
> So I just bought a PVR 500 with the samsung tuners that gives me a
> terrible grainy picture filled with lots of diagonal wavy lines. I'm
> looking into buying an RF attenuator but I'm not sure how much attenuation
> is needed. Does anyone with this card actually get descent results after
> decreasing the signal? I'm looking for any advice fellow pvr500 owners
> might have other than ditching this for 2 pvr 150s.
> Thanks

I have a PVR500 and the picture is fine. My forward signal isn't too
high. Base of 12db at the PED, with a 3-way splitter (-7db) and a DC-tap
for my cable modem (-0.5db). Should put me around a 4-4.5db signal
hitting my PVR500. I do get 2 channels that have some diagonal lines
through them, but it's nothing that's bad enough for me to crawl into
the attic again or anything. (I used to work for the local cable
company, so knowing my db's isn't that odd of a thing <grin>)

I also have a PVR150 in the same box, and can't say if I've noticed the
diagonal lines through it on the same channels or not - between 2
frontends it uses the PVR500 for watching TV and seems to always use the
PVR150 for recordings. I don't have a priority defined, but the 150 was
the first card I set up which probably has something to do with it
starting at the end and working it's way up.