[mythtv-users] Is the Digital Future bleak?

joe.white at wachovia.com joe.white at wachovia.com
Fri Jun 1 19:06:15 UTC 2007

My neighbor has recently gotten a high dev TV, so now we are considering
it as well.  Envy is a nasty thing, but what can you do?  So, I have been
reading thru the wiki and various HD threads in order to figure out what
adjustments would need to be made to our current MythTV setup.

Now I am wondering if its something that I really want to pursue.  From
what I can gather, the HD tuners can only receive unencrypted channels, of
which there are a handful (less than 10) in most areas, usually only
Discovery and the OTA channels.  Further there is no guarantee, in fact it
is likely, that these channels will be encrypted in the next few years.

So, in two years, when we all go digital, I will be forced to place my
MythBox (lovingly) into my storage closet and rent a DVR from
Time-Warner-Microsoft-Jiffy-Lube.

Is this an accurate assessment of the situation?

Bleak.
jw