[mythtv-users] digital cable vs OTA in Toronto

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jun 1 18:11:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 13:56 -0400, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Cnudde, Paul wrote:
> > So I went and got myself a pcHDTV5500 and with the plethora of valuable info on this list, managed to get it up and running in Myth with almost no difficulty. I am not a digital cable subscriber and therefore can only watch the unencrypted streams which come down my coax. Unfortunatley of the 25 or so such channels which I do get, I would probably only watch about...none of them.  Mostly because the majority of stations are just time shifted versions of stations I already get with my analog setup, and the rest of them seem to be perpetually showing commercials or "so you think you can dance" (shudder).
> I find my setup records quite a lot from these channels, since the
> quality is far superior to the analog conversions I get from my PVRx50
> cards, and the file size is smaller.

So just to get this straight, with Rogers one can get (all?) channels in
one's cable package with a pcHDTV5500?  They are QAM?  IOW, I would get
as many channels with a pcHDTV5500 as I would with a PVR-250 on analog?

> I get about 12 HD channels OTA in Brampton, but
> that is with a pole mounted exterior CM4228 antenna. As for the quality
> of the channels OTA versus QAM? Uh, yeah, WAY better quality... :)

Is your distinction ("WAY") that all of the OTA channels you are getting
are HD or is OTA inherently better than Rogers' QAM for some reason?  If
they were not HD, there'd be no meaningful distinction?  Is it only HD
that you are getting OTA or is there some additional channels available
in your area, just SD though?  What are the 12 you are getting?  Mom
lives there and I'm just weighing options.

b.

Brian J. Murrell