[mythtv-users] digital cable vs OTA in Toronto

Cnudde, Paul Paul.Cnudde at Gowlings.com
Fri Jun 1 17:38:48 UTC 2007

So I went and got myself a pcHDTV5500 and with the plethora of valuable info on this list, managed to get it up and running in Myth with almost no difficulty. I am not a digital cable subscriber and therefore can only watch the unencrypted streams which come down my coax. Unfortunatley of the 25 or so such channels which I do get, I would probably only watch about...none of them.  Mostly because the majority of stations are just time shifted versions of stations I already get with my analog setup, and the rest of them seem to be perpetually showing commercials or "so you think you can dance" (shudder).  I was really hoping for some decent HD content.
I live in Toronto (Yonge & St.Clair area) and am considering an OTA setup,  If there is anyone on this list in the GTA with an OTA setup (using a digital tuner) my question to you is, are the channels you get any improvement over the unencrypted streams provided by rogers?
My second question would be, is it be possible to receive them using an indoor antenna from the ground floor of a building?

Thanks in advance
Paul
IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Gowlings immediately by
email at postmaster at gowlings.com.  Thank you.