[mythtv-users] Does the wireless version of Hauppauge Media MVP work?

David Segall david at segall.net
Fri Jun 1 15:52:28 UTC 2007

Brett Kosinski wrote:
>     Does the wireless version of Hauppauge Media MVP
>     < http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_wmvp.html> work with
>     MediaMVP Media Cente <http://www.mvpmc.org/>? If not, should I
>     temporarily trail a cable through the house and buy this version in the
>     hope somebody is working on it or doesn't it work at all?
>

> Unless you're running 802.11 g or a, I wouldn't bother.  It's simply too
> slow.  Not to mention dropouts and so forth.
I am running 802.11g. The current MythTV combined front and back end box
has only a wireless connection but a Linux front end and MythTv Player
both run flawlessly on other computers in my network.

Does your reply indicate that the wireless Hauppage Media MVP would
otherwise work or is it just a general caution on using a wireless
network for MythTV?

 >  You're probably better off
 > just running cat5e through your walls, if you can.

I can but I would have to pay someone to do it and that would cost
significantly more than difference in price between the wired and
wireless versions of Media MVP. That is a downside of old age; the most
common cause of death in a home accident is falling off a ladder. The
upside is that I won't live long enough to be affected by the radiation
from my home wireless devices :)